Thursday, November 8, 2007

CraigsList

I hate CraigsList. I love CraigsList. I hate CraigsList...

CraigsList is an online garage sale. It stirs my emotions because right when I find a treasure, a fellow web prowler plucks it from under my eager, outstretched fingers.

To wit: I've been stalking the New York City ads for an inexpensive crib for several weeks. Discouragement followed each vain bid. Finally, I saw a hard-wood crib for $25 in the adjacent neighborhood. I e-mailed the buyer within 17 minutes of the ad posting. She responded five hours later, telling me to call her to arrange the pick-up. When I called, she had already given the crib away. I cried. No, I sobbed. (Pregnancy hormones, I swear!)

Dejected but not dissuaded, I checked again the next morning. Just four blocks from the burrow, a man was giving away a crib gratis. That means free. My eyes glanced to the time on the ad; it was eleven hours old. Then I saw the photo. The crib was white, simple, and modern--exactly what I wanted. Risking another emotional breakdown, I dialed the seller's phone number. The crib was still available! Mr. Miller hurried home from school and we picked it up. Now that white, wooden, splendid thing is laying, dismantled, in our bedroom.

I love CraigsList.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad that you got it Bethany! (And the Emma-esque quote made me smile :) )

Families of the Nations said...

White is so nice! You can go pale and delicate or bold and bright with white!

Joyface said...

Yeah for craigslist! I am so glad that you found a crib.

orneryswife said...

Blessed once again! Isn't God wonderful to meet our needs? Gratis is good...
TM

Christina said...

that's fantastic! I thought you uys were going to go with the portable? What changed your mind?

Mrs. Miller said...

This crib was free; that's what changed our minds! :-)