Monday, October 15, 2007

Skeptical of drinking from The Fountainhead

I'm researching Ayn Rand's novel, The Fountainhead. I read the voluminous work back in college, and found it preachy and philosophically disturbing. Rand uses the story to explain objectivism, which holds a radically autonomous view of the human person and proclaims the virtue of selfishness. Since college, I've talked to countless people who have were profoundly influenced by the novel, including Christians. I've struggled to articulate to them the intellectual discord between objectivism and Christianity, because, to some extent, Rand's philosophy describes human nature as we find it and, thus, resonates with reality. But this essay contrasting George Bailey with Rand's hero, Howard Roark, does the job well.

2 comments:

Families of the Nations said...

Thanks much for the connection to this fine essay. Now I know why "It's a Wonderful Life" is one of my favorites! I did read the Fountainhead back in the 60's but Roark did not impress me enough to remember anything about him.

orneryswife said...

Interesting that Colson's Breakpoint was also on Rand and her lifestyle choices! Great minds and all that!
TM